I am a recovering addict from “personal development world”.
I have been in this ‘addiction’ for a few years so far. Definitely at the beginning, just like any addiction, it was fun, exotic, refreshing and oh gosh, how inspiring and opening the doors to a wider and broader, and even more adventurous, world!
However, the more I was getting swept into it, the more side-effects I could see.
Don’t take me wrong. Every one of us is on the different level of personal growth and on a different page in our book called “Life”. I believe I wouldn’t be here without being ‘there’. I believe that we are in the place where we are because of the circumstances and experiences we lived through.
So today personal development and self-help have a totally different meaning & connotation to me than in the past.
There is no universal ‘definition’ for those. You take it as you feel is right for you!
For me, personal development got to the point where I felt rather restricted, limited and kind of paralyzed rather than actually growing. Some aspects made me cringe, others made me back off, so I started exploring. I knew there is something there for me to explore.
Why didn’t I feel inspired, empowered and growing anymore, as I used to?
Just like people ask me why don’t I workout obsessively, diet restrictively and live the fitness lifestyle I used to.
I just simply outgrown all of that!
Here is my thing. The force, restrictions, rules, shoulds, expectations, resistance, obsession, push through, work hard, sleep less, and hustle just DO NOT work for me anymore. Artificial vision boards without actual feelings behind don’t mean anything to me. Wake up early, work late nights, don’t sleep – it is just a big no-no for me.
And that’s me!
Even though the definition of “development’ is: the process of developing or being developed; and the synonyms are: evolution, growth, maturing, expansion, or progress; I still prefer today to use the term “personal growth” or blossoming and blooming.
Today that self-work for me is oriented around how I want to feel while accomplishing my desires, what makes me feel lighten up, and how I can see and also create more abundance in my life.
- It is about feeling in alignment with my values and priorities.
- It is about feeling true with my actions.
- It is being in peace with my decisions.
- It is about knowing that ‘no’ is ‘no’ and ‘yes’ is ‘yes’.
- It is about saying ‘hell yes’ when I am ready for.
- And saying ’heck no’ to create healthy boundaries.
- It is about being in a creative mode, without rush, rules or attachment.
- It is about letting go of what doesn’t serve me.
- It is about being in flow with my energies.
- And it is about freaking rest, sleep and taking it at the pace which is right for me, not for the world.
Today I would like to share with you the list of soul-inspired ‘habits’, ‘action steps’, or simple personal commitments to myself (whatever name you resonate with).
- To have a pure, quiet, grounding and filled with gratitude time for myself and my soul in the morning and in the evening before bed.
- To have a screen-free hour before bad to prepare my brain and body for the deserved deep rest.
- To dance every day to move energies through and feel joyful.
- To read and/or write poetry to feed my soul.
- To walk to nature and connect with it in order to feel grounded and as a part of the Mother Earth.
- To detox from social media at least a couple of days a week to create more space for my own thoughts, inspirations, inner voice, and emotions.
- To have tea or kakao ritual to feel celebrated, acknowledged, and expensive.
- To read a book and listen to the podcast which feed my heart, soul, and mind rather than make me fall into the comparison/anxiety trap.
Those make me feel empowered, expensive, hopeful, grateful, passionate, and inspired. Those truly fill my wholeness with love, kindness, expansion, compassion and sacredness.
What would be your soul-inspiring ‘action step’ you could set up for yourself?
YOU CAN WATCH MORE ABOUT THIS on my YouTube channel in the beYOUtiful episode #23!